POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : For Hugo. Irregular mesh smoothing idea. : Re: For Hugo. Irregular mesh smoothing idea. Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Hugo. Irregular mesh smoothing idea.
Date: 5 Mar 2002 10:21:37
Message: <k7o98ugqa229jtfbhpkniat3g83n791lnt@4ax.com>
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:12:47 -0600, "Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote:
> The weighted normals look better. Is this the case with every mesh?

This is just more accurate method of averaging.

> This goes against everything I have seen concerning mesh normals.

Not exactly. Weighting is just longer and result is visible when there are
differences in triangle area.

> By a weighted average, do you mean simply not normalizing the normal of each
> triangle?

Considering you have N triangles with vertex P:
- take all N normals as previously
- normalize them as previously
- new step: multiply/adjust according to area of triangle
- add all N normals as previously
- normalize this sum as previously (I'm not sure it is necessary)

So only new thing is muliplying. This is done to save larger triangles more
float.

ABX